2011-12-06

misery

misery (1990)

Here are various stills from the movie version of Misery (1990). Yesterday (but then again it's past midnight so I suppose I should say two days ago) I finished reading Misery by Stephen King, which is the first novel I have ever read by this author. This is going on my list of favourite books. I really enjoyed this novel, although there were some parts that were quite gruesome reading it (by hey, that totally adds to the whole creepiness/weirdness of Annie Wilkes). But um to be honest I really don't know how to describe something I read. I mean, I see it all the time - novel reviews or, like, a brief, nicely written paragraph outlining the reader's opinion of the story. I just can't seem to do that. All I can say is that I thought it was really interesting. Okay.

And no, I haven't watched the film version yet. I think I should. I mean, now that I've actually read the novel, I'm tempted to see how the images I pictured in my head while reading compare to the actual film. I actually did not even dare to look at how the characters from the film looked like or how anything looked like whatsoever because I didn't want to corrupt my mind. Hm, I think corrupt is actually I good way of describing this. What I'm getting at is that I prefer to read the book first without having the slightest clue as to how anything in the film looks like, and then watch the film to compare everything to how I had imagined it. If I were to watch the film before reading the book, then as I read, all the characters in my head would be the exact same people portraying the characters in the film, and I find that kind of dull. That's all.

Today (or should I say yesterday), I borrowed two more novels by Stephen King. I borrowed Bag of Bones and The Mist. I saw that A&E is having some sort of two-part special that's like a movie-adaptation-type-thing of Bag of Bones which got me interested in reading the book. The Mist, however, I just picked up randomly, and I'm hoping it's just as good. I don't think I'll have much time to read these during this week or next week, but these books aren't due till January, so I'll have winter break to read them, I suppose.

1 comment: